Overnight Tricks for Better Skin
Let’s not kid ourselves – sleeping is one of everyone’s favorite pastimes. But did you know that it not only regenerates your brain, but also your body1? While you cozily slumber your night away, your body is working hard to grace you with the perfect skin your deserve. Indeed, most repairing biological activities take place during the night. Plus, there are no stress factors affecting the body while you are safely tucked in your bed – there is no sunlight to irritate your skin and no wind to dry it out. For these reasons, the night time is the ideal time for your skin to experience its beauty sleep and to truly rejuvenate, in preparation for the next busy day.
Rid Your Face Of Zits
Have you ever woken up from a good night’s sleep and realized that yesterday’s pimples are history? Lucky you! While such a miracle can occasionally happen by chance, you can help your body rid itself of any zits overnight by applying antibacterial products before bed. Since bacteria causes pimples, treating them with a sebum controller such as zinc can certainly help you on your way to clear skin2.
Say Bye To Eye Pimples
Yes, zits are one of the most unpleasant things to wake up to. But there is nothing more frustrating than eyelid zits. They often result from using dense lotions on the sensitive skin around your eyes. If this is a nuisance for you, try the Neova Eye Therapy gel with GHK copper peptide, which rejuvenates your skin’s collagen. Alternatively, apply the overnight Talika Eye Therapy Mask, which also reduces any forming facial lines.
Fight Wrinkles Overnight
You have probably heard your mom praise night creams before. This is no myth. Creams, or serums, containing vitamin A or retinol can truly fight lines on your face3 while you nap the night away. These are also best applied at night, since they can make your face sensitive to sunlight for a while. If you want to target more pronounced lines, ask your doctor for either Renova, Retin-A or Avage – powerful creams that should not be used on a nightly basis. Apply them gently and enjoy your smooth skin.
If your face becomes irritated during the daytime, your hours of nightly sleep are definitely the time for its rejuvenation. Help your skin by using a loose micronized mineral powder to reduce redness overnight. To reduce inflammation and avoid clogged pores, look for a powder containing zinc oxide4, or alternatively, titanium dioxide.
The Night Is For Fixing What Went Wrong In The Day
It may not feel like it but your skin becomes affected by the environmental factors that you experience as you go about your day. To repair it, use an antioxidant lotion. This counters the free radicals5 that you encounter in the outdoors, which can damage your complexion.
Refresh Your Face
Waking up with dry, flaky skin is not the best way to start your day. While vitamin A can help, applying a lotion with a glycolic acid compound can moisturize your face, while ridding it of dead cells6. While this caring ingredient is acid-based, it is not rough on the skin, as it is used in its salt compound form in creams. This component can also be listed as glycolic and ammonium glycolate. If your skin is still resisting this ingredient’s healing properties, do not hesitate to use a microdermabrasion kit, usually combined with a buffing tool. This will deeply exfoliate your skin, so lather on a beeswax- or dimethicone-based hydrating cream when you are done.
Lips That Crack Overnight
Have you ever woken up with lips so dry you felt like you had been in the sun all night? Do not worry – the sensitive skin on your lips is especially vulnerable during the night, as you take deep breaths through your mouth while you sleep. Treat your lips and apply moisturizer before bed to ensure soft, kissable lips in the a.m.
Dry Under-Eye Skin Is A Thing
Beside a dry complexion, dry under-eye skin can be an additional morning annoyance. There is a concealer especially created to help you with this problem. TheBalm Time Balm is a 24/7 concealer which is designed to be light enough to help you through each and every night. Still, it is full of moisturizing ingredients like beeswax7, panthenol, and soybean oil – hydrating your face as you dream the night away.
A good night’s sleep feels great until you look in the mirror and see all the puffiness it has caused. This is caused by all of the water which your skin has held onto for you overnight. The trick to counteract this is unbelievably simple – try to sleep on your back for most of the night and invest in a fluffy, big pillow. This way, your face will be elevated and no liquids will gather around it.
- Eugene A.R., Masiak J. The Neuroprotective Aspects of Sleep. MEDtube Science. 2015;3(1):35-40.
- Piérard-Franchimont C., Goffin V., Visser J.N., Jacoby H., Piérard G.E. A double-blind controlled evaluation of the sebosuppressive activity of topical erythromycin-zinc complex. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 1995;49(1-2):57-60.
- Kafi R., Kwak H.S., Schumacher W.E., Cho S., Hanft V.N., Hamilton T.A., King A.L., Neal J.D., Varani J., Fisher G.J., Voorhees J.J., Kang S. Improvement of naturally aged skin with vitamin A (retinol). Archives of Dermatology. 2007;143(5):606-12.
- Gupta M., Mahajan V.K., Mehta K.S., Chauhan P.S. Zinc Therapy in Dermatology: A Review. Dermatology Research and Practice. 2014.
- Pai V.V., Shukla P., Kikkeri N.N. Antioxidants in dermatology. Indian Dermatology Online Journal. 2014; 5(2):210–214.
- Tran D., Townley J.P., Barnes T.M., Greive K.A. An antiaging skin care system containing alpha hydroxy acids and vitamins improves the biomechanical parameters of facial skin. Clinical, Cosmetic, and Investigational Dermatology. 2014;8:9-17.
- Ediriweera E.R., Premarathna N.Y. Medicinal and cosmetic uses of Bee’s Honey—A review. Ayu. 2012;33(2):178-82.
To be your most trusted ally in your pursuit of clear, healthy skin.